Lantana, FL Elder Law Attorney
Book A Free Consultation
The legal issues that our elders face as they advance in age can be especially challenging. As they approach the latter half of their life, they must begin to think about how their legacy will be preserved for their family after they’re gone. What makes things more difficult for them is not having someone to advocate for their best interests, leaving them vulnerable and likely to be taken advantage of. At Elder Law, P.A., we stand up for seniors in need, as well as those who love them. We are passionate about guiding our clients and their families through matters such as wills, trusts, advance directives, power of attorney, Medicaid planning, and more! Call our experienced Lantana elder law attorney today to schedule a free consultation and learn more about our services!
There are many types of wills that may be beneficial to the specific needs of you and your family, but not all of them may be considered valid or legal in the state of Florida. By working with a knowledgeable attorney, you can be sure that the wills drafted in your name are compliant with state laws. Some possibilities might be:
- Testamentary wills – a traditional will that lists your assets and property, as well as who you want to inherit them.
- Pour-over wills – a type of will used in conjunction with a revocable living trust.
- Mirror image wills – often used by marriage couples in place of joint wills, which are not valid in Florida. Each spouse signs their own will which is identical to the other.
- And more!
Similar to wills, there are different types of trusts, as well. A trust is a financial entity to which your estate is transferred. Our Lantana Elder law attorney will be able to identify the type of trust that will best accomplish your estate planning goals. They may be revocable (able to be altered or changed) or irrevocable (unable to be altered or changed). Some options may be:
- A charitable trust – a trust that is created to benefit you, your beneficiaries, and a charity that you wish to make a donation to out of your estate
- A special needs trust – a trust that allows you to leave an inheritance to a loved one with special needs without risking their access to government benefits
- Funeral trust – a trust with funds set aside to cover funeral and burial costs
- And more!
Many people choose to create a trust because of the tax benefits, the protection of assets from creditors, and because trusts bypass the probate process.
Advance directives allow people of all ages and stages of life to take proactive steps to make their wishes and values known. They include:
- Durable power of attorney – allows you to authorize an individual to make all legal, financial, or business decisions on your behalf
- Health care surrogate – allows you to authorize an individual to make all medical and healthcare decisions on your behalf if you become unable to
- Living will – allows you to express your values and desires when it comes to the use of life-saving measures or artificial forms of life support
- And more!
In addition to estate planning, our Lantana elder law attorney can assist with the process of Medicaid planning. Many seniors use Medicaid benefits to pay for the expensive costs of nursing homes or other long-term care services, but not everyone is able to qualify without restructuring their finances. Our firm can help you plan ahead to qualify for Medicaid benefits in the future.
Call Our Compassionate Lantana Elder Law Attorney To Help You Navigate These Complex Issues
Don’t let another day go by without peace of mind that your legacy will be protected! Our lead attorney, Ryan J. Smollar, has over a decade of experience and is passionate about advocating for you and accomplishing your goals. Call today to schedule a free consultation and learn more about how we can serve you!
Book A Free Consultation
Lantana, FL Practice Areas
Natalie was amazing handling my dads medicaid application process, easy to communicate and we found the process very straight forward with their guidance. We would highly recommend their services to everyone who is in need of elder law, with our family all working full time and busy lives they gave us a peace of mind knowing they were working on getting things done.
Ryan really cares about his clients, and it shows in the way that he advises them. He is extremely knowledgeable about elder law, and explains the rules in a clear manner. The issues can be difficult on family members to discuss, and he handles the material in a compassionate manner.
Why Choose Us?
10 Years Of Legal Experience
Knowledgeable & Compassionate